lilo vs grub

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Tue Oct 21 04:56:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:20:28PM -0400, Mark Hoover wrote:
> But how can we claim to be in favor of software choice when at the basic
> level of the bootloader we can't even let there be a choice for those
> who don't want to use one or the other.

Your argument would have substance, if, for example, lilo was a competitive
alternative that was actively maintained (KDE vs GNOME for example).

I think the competitive alternative is a card case to prove, and the
actively maintained is impossible to prove.

Feel free to correct me... Perhaps you will take ownership of lilo, and
ensure that it is actively maintained? Remember, the open source community
isn't just about users. It is quite significantly about contributors.
Without contributors, the users have nobody to blame about a product becoming
obsolete.

mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________