lilo vs grub

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Oct 21 13:48:29 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 04:41, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I've seen many requests for grub to add the LILO feature
> allowing a one-time boot into a non-default kernel,
> but nothing has been done.

Incorrect.  This feature is present since Fri Mar 08 2002, according to
the grub changelog, and was included in RHL 7.3 and later.  Use the
"--once" flag to the "savedefault" command.  I agree it's not quite as
convenient as the LILO method, but it most certainly is there and has
been there for over 18 months.

Please stop posting obviously incorrect comments; this is no better than
the folks who claim LILO isn't being maintained.

> I've seen many comments about grub documentation
> but nothing has been done.

There is plenty of documentation for grub in the "info" pages.  Perhaps
you are not aware of how to use "info"?  I prefer the "pinfo" viewer to
the standard one myself.

--Jeremy