Fedora Issues

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Oct 21 14:52:27 UTC 2003

On Monday 20 October 2003 21:58, HoytDuff uttered:
> I've heard this a lot, but haven't seen an explanation of 1.) why 3.3
> doesn't work,

It's not so much that 3.3 doesn't work, it's that the kernel code isn't quite
clean enough for 3.3 to work.

> 2.) why 3.3 was used if it doesn't work and

Because waiting for the huge kernel to come together is just silly.  Moving
forward and putting even more pressure on the kernel folks is a bit better.
No sense in holding back the rest of the class because of one slow student.

> 3.) why there
> are no red flags all over the Release Notes about it.

There were the last time I looked.  A quick look of the 0.95 ones show that it
isn't there anymore, except for a small blurb in the package changes:

- gcc32 — Version 3.2.3 of GCC (used for building the kernel)

Perhaps a decent RFE would be to include the specific information about
compiling a kernel with gcc32, with the example of how to set your CC
variable.  Care to 'zilla it if it's not already there?

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE	(http://geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team	(http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: