Speakup in kernel

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Oct 21 20:09:28 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 15:55, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Oh, it's clear RH has no intention. What is now also clear is that the
> reasoning is highly suspect. In fact, prejudicial against persons with
> disabilities. Not hard to make that case from this thread.
>
> It will come back on RH, though. This isn't going away. Just as the
> discriminatory practices with RCE isn't going away. The RCE issue is a
> lurking ADA legal issue. The kernel accessibility issue will be back.
> Perhaps only upstream. But, we're not going away.

Hey, Hey, Careful bandying about the ADA as a defense. It could be an
issue - but if reasonable accommodations are made then it is not an
issue. Moreover if the non-ada compliance limited every piece of
software from being released then you'd never get any software released,
ever.

I think disability-compliance is very important,(I take careful notice
of places where ada non-compliance is downright dangerous, especially
for the deaf) but I also think that if you're going to do fix code then
it needs to be done in such a way that the people who have to maintain
the code won't cringe everytime they have to think about it.

>From what I've read here the red hat kernel folks seem edgy about the
implementation.

-sv