linux accessibility issues / Assistive Technology, etc.

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 20:41:01 UTC 2003

> On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 11:09, Elton Woo wrote:
> > What moves are afoot to make linux truly user friendly for handicapped
> > users? I'm thinking of usablity for blind users (auditory and visual clues),
> > amputees (voice input), the deaf (speech output), etc...
>
> /me wonders how speech output would be useful for the deaf. :)
> my girlfriend is deaf and I'd never think of having speech output from
> the computer as useful :)

That aside there are several things going on in the desktop space. Gnome
people (particularly Sun) have been building a complete accessibility layer
for the Gnome widgets and applications. In Dublin they were able
to demonstrate navigation by buttons and head trackers and output via
braille keyboards and speech engines. Some of the work still rests on the
app designer (not using audio only cues, making the app custom widgets
accessible etc)