Games doesent work in Fedora test 3

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Oct 22 18:02:55 UTC 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, joe wrote:

>> None of the games i tryed (Unreal Tournament 2003, Enemy Teritory and
>> Americas Army) was able to start. It has nothing to do with OpenGL
>> from Nvidia. Im not eaven able to choos OpenGL in the game, so it must
>> still use software rendering.
>>
>I was getting that also on the 3D screensavers, but I removed the mesa
>GL libs:
>
>rpm -evv --nodeps XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-37
>
>and all the 3D screensavers work now - I will check some 3D fps games later.

The Nvidia libGL, and the Mesa libGL explicitly conflict with
each other.  There is no way to cleanly make them coexist
currently.

I think I should make this conflict explicit in the rpm rather
than users continuously experiencing unknown libGL problems when
installing Nvidia's drivers.  This would make it much easier for
people using Nvidia proprietary drivers to use them with less
troublesome and hard to diagnose conflicts.

I'll investigate doing this in our next build.