Gnome and KDE: Start new Session button?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Oct 22 18:10:45 UTC 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Christoph Wickert wrote:

># Examples for multiple local X displays:
># :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt9 -bpp 16
># :1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt10 -bpp 8
>:0 local at tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp vt7
>:1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp vt8
>:2 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :2 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp vt9
>:3 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :3 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp vt10
>
>The reserve xservers are started by "Start new Session". I'm not sure,
>what this button does. As a workaround I've setup 2 local displays (I
>think 2 are enough), but the second one is not on demand.
>
>Mayby someone from Redhat call tell, why this feature is disabled in the
>versions of gnome and kde shipped with fedora.

Multiple X servers running on a machine works with some hardware
with some drivers on some motherboards.  It does not work
reliably on all, and some of the drivers simply are not
compatible with such configurations.

The number of users who want/need multiple X servers running on a
system is very small compared to all users using X, and so this
is not a configuration which is a good "general" default,
especially since it would cause many systems to just lock up hard
the first time X is ran.

Running multiple X servers simultaneously may or may not work,
but it is not officially supported by Red Hat.  It does work for
some people however - caveat emptor.

Hope this explains things..

TTYL