Bad Terminal Character Translation with PuTTy

Bryan White bryan at arcamax.com
Wed Oct 22 20:56:11 UTC 2003

PuTTy is a Windows SSH client.  I have been using it to log into RedHat
boxes through 7.3 without a problem.  I am now experimenting with FC095.
  The problem is some programs print some garbage characters to the
terminal.

This is most noticeable in man pages and using the pstree command.  It
usually shows up as a lower case 'a' with a hat over it.  In pstree it
is very obvious because it is used for drawing the node connections.

By default PuTTy sets the TERM variable to 'xterm'.  The default
character set is: ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe).

I found a FAQ on the PuTTy site that stated that starting with RedHat 8
the OS was using UTF-8 and I the user would have to set this in the
PuTTy configuration.  I tried this.  The 'a with a hat' now turns into a
square block.

Any other suggestions?
--
Bryan White, ArcaMax Inc.