Bad Terminal Character Translation with PuTTy

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Oct 22 22:12:13 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 16:56, Bryan White wrote:

> I found a FAQ on the PuTTy site that stated that starting with RedHat 8
> the OS was using UTF-8 and I the user would have to set this in the
> PuTTy configuration.  I tried this.  The 'a with a hat' now turns into a
> square block.

Try changing your locale settings to something like the "C" locale
(legacy mode); for example,  "LANG=C pstree" at a prompt.

I think the problem is that the drawing characters used by pstree are
not in the UTF-8 character set that you are using.  pstree probably
needs to be fixed to be made aware of that.  On my system pstree is just
using standard ASCII chars like | and -, however, not the special
drawing characters, so I'm not sure exactly what to say.

--Jeremy