Speakup in kernel

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Oct 23 01:59:27 UTC 2003

 You can't use Speakup to take the exams, and Red Hat has upset several
 folks with their policies regarding access to RHCE materials.

 The ADA wouldn't apply to software. But, it does apply to programs like
 RHCE.

seth vidal writes:
> From: seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu>
>
> On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 15:55, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > Oh, it's clear RH has no intention. What is now also clear is that the
> > reasoning is highly suspect. In fact, prejudicial against persons with
> > disabilities. Not hard to make that case from this thread.
> >
> > It will come back on RH, though. This isn't going away. Just as the
> > discriminatory practices with RCE isn't going away. The RCE issue is a
> > lurking ADA legal issue. The kernel accessibility issue will be back.
> > Perhaps only upstream. But, we're not going away.
> >

> Hey, Hey, Careful bandying about the ADA as a defense. It could be an
> issue - but if reasonable accommodations are made then it is not an
> issue. Moreover if the non-ada compliance limited every piece of
> software from being released then you'd never get any software released,
> ever.
>
> I think disability-compliance is very important,(I take careful notice
> of places where ada non-compliance is downright dangerous, especially
> for the deaf) but I also think that if you're going to do fix code then
> it needs to be done in such a way that the people who have to maintain
> the code won't cringe everytime they have to think about it.
>
> >From what I've read here the red hat kernel folks seem edgy about the
> implementation.
>
> -sv
>

> --

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group