.xinitrc and .xession not being read?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 09:27:30 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Joshua Legbandt wrote:

>> This isn't something I threw over my shoulder in a "I think this
>> is the way it is" sense, it is the way the X server works.  Of
>> course you're certainly free to read the various documentation
>> and/or source code if you disagree however.  ;o)
>
>I think I wasn't clear, I meant that I don't think that in my case that
>the modules are loaded. The fonts that I am attempting to load from my
>.xfonts folders are standard pcf fonts. I was under the assumption that
>a module was not required for bitmap fonts, but I noticed that there is
>a bitmap module in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts. Is this what I would
>load to handle bitmaps? xterm works (loads the fixed font) without this
>module, so I didn't think that it was required, as my fonts work after I
>run xset fp+ /path/to/fonts manually.

The X server wont start at all without bitmap font support.
That module, and various others that are 100% required are
automatically loaded by the X server at startup regardless of
wether they're in the config file or not.  If you examine the X
server startup log, you'll notice the very first X server module
that gets loaded:

(II) Module ABI versions:
        XFree86 ANSI C Emulation: 0.2
        XFree86 Video Driver: 0.6
        XFree86 XInput driver : 0.4
        XFree86 Server Extension : 0.2
        XFree86 Font Renderer : 0.4
(II) Loader running on linux
(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"

>I suppose what I really should do is either drop my fonts into
>my .fonts folder, or just put them into a system path and have
>them loaded by the font server.

The ~/.fonts folder will be automatically used by fontconfig and
fonts placed there are available to Xft based applications.  xfs
will not see the fonts at all however.