Compiling NVIDIA driver for -ntpl kernel

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Thu Oct 23 12:21:22 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 03:04, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 08:20, Ossama Khayaat wrote:
> > I was running RH9 with all it's updates on my machine.
> > I decided to test the update to rawhide.
> > Downloaded and installed _all_ of the packages of rawhide repository and
> > almost everything is working fine.
> > Anyway, when I downloaded the IA-32 NVIDIA driver, I couldn't use it.
> > I mean, I run the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run and it couldn't
> > compile the driver for me.
>
> export CC=gcc32
>
> is the solution for that. "export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1" works too, but
> doesn't do it right... it will compile the module with a different
> compiler than what was used for the kernel.

Yet another solution is to run the original NVidia installer program
with the parameter --add-this-kernel which will create a customized
version of the installer. Then use that one to install the drivers.

I've been doing this for a while and it also works like a champ.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,