Suggestions for a good graphics card for RH9/Fedora?

Douglas Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Thu Oct 23 13:10:55 UTC 2003

Globe Trotter wrote:
|>Well I think the Radeon FireGL cards are very ancient.
|>

| Can I get a suggestion for a good graphics card which will work on
RH9/Fedora?
| I have a Dell Dimension 650 Dual Processor with 2 3.06GHz Intel-4
processors
| and it is hooked to a Dell 2000FP LCD screen. This latter can take a
resolution
| of 1600x1200 and it is indeed the optimal resolution. I want to be
able to use
| this. Currently, the graphics card, as I have written, is an ATI
Radeon R300 NG
| FireGL X1. This has been a nightmare. Though everything is three
months old
| here, I am now pretty ready to plonk down the money and get a good
graphics
| card for it. I am happy to pay top dollar but I don't want to get a
graphics
| card with some feature which does not work on a Linux system (which is my
| definition of useless). Anyone have any suggestions?
| Btw, if it matters, the memory on the dual processor is 2GB-ECC.
|
| Thanks!
|

| _

I have had great experience with nVidia GeForce 4 Ti's (using nVidia's
nvidia module/driver).  They've been really stable, they perform very
well, and you can get dual-head-capable cards for real cheap.  (You'll
need to buy a DVI-to-VGA adapter to run two in many cases, unless that
Dell 2000FP of yours has a DVI cable...).  The Leadtek Winfast that I
have even overclocks very nicely with nvclock
(http://www.evil3d.net/products/nvclock/).

I know a lot of people have expressed severe doubts about using
closed-source "tainted" modules, but hey, I use the nVidia drivers and
they _just work_, which is all that matters, in my book.

Anyways, that's my $2/100.

- --
Doug Stewart
Systems Administrator/Web Applications Developer
Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Labs