Suggestions for a good graphics card for RH9/Fedora?

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 15:38:26 UTC 2003

--- Douglas Stewart <dstewart at atl.lmco.com> wrote:

> Peter Boy wrote:
> | Am Do, den 23.10.2003 schrieb Globe Trotter um 16:43:
> |
> |>Thanks! I do have dual input and would like to use the DVI. Any
> suggestion with
> |>regard to the card memory? 128Mb or should I go all the way upto 256?
> |

> | Unless your are a windows gamer 64 mb should be enough for a Linux box.
> | You can watch DVD, do video editing, and the usual stuff. I'm not shure,
> | but even Windows games currently don't use 128 mb (but I'm not a game
> | expert!).
> |

> | Peter
> |

> | --
>
> Definitely take the 128MB.   The performance boost over the 64MB cards
> is noticable. The performance tests that I've seen re: 128MB vs. 256MB
> GeForceFX cards have actually shown that the 256 can be SLOWER than the
> 128 in many cases, so it's really not worth the extra money.
>
> For absolute stability and very good performance, I would look in to a
> 128MB GeForce 4 Ti4600/Ti4800.  The FX cards that I've tried (at least
> from PNY) have been flaky, at best.
>
> - --

Thanks very much, both Peter and Doug. So, these cards are dual DVI/VGA
capable, right? And supported on RH9 and Fedora? As I mentioned before, I have
a DVI/VGA monitor (which I want to run as DVI) and is optimized at 1600x1200
resolution.

What is the difference between TI4600 and TI4800? Any specs within these that I
should consider while purchasing. Sorry if I appear dumb, but that is exactly
what I am:-)

No, I am not a gamer, but I just don't want my card to become obsolete within a
year or with the Fedora Core 3 release.

Thanks again and best wishes!