Suggestions for a good graphics card for RH9/Fedora?

Douglas Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Thu Oct 23 19:24:11 UTC 2003

Globe Trotter wrote:
| --- Douglas Stewart <dstewart at atl.lmco.com> wrote:

|>Peter Boy wrote:
|>| Am Do, den 23.10.2003 schrieb Globe Trotter um 16:43:
|>|
|>suggestion with
|>|
|>|
|>| Unless your are a windows gamer 64 mb should be enough for a Linux box.
|>| You can watch DVD, do video editing, and the usual stuff. I'm not shure,
|>| but even Windows games currently don't use 128 mb (but I'm not a game
|>| expert!).
|>|
|>|
|>|
|>| Peter
|>
|>Definitely take the 128MB.   The performance boost over the 64MB cards
|>is noticable. The performance tests that I've seen re: 128MB vs. 256MB
|>GeForceFX cards have actually shown that the 256 can be SLOWER than the
|>128 in many cases, so it's really not worth the extra money.
|>
|>For absolute stability and very good performance, I would look in to a
|>128MB GeForce 4 Ti4600/Ti4800.  The FX cards that I've tried (at least
|>from PNY) have been flaky, at best.
|>
|>- --
|

| Thanks very much, both Peter and Doug. So, these cards are dual DVI/VGA
| capable, right? And supported on RH9 and Fedora? As I mentioned
before, I have
| a DVI/VGA monitor (which I want to run as DVI) and is optimized at
1600x1200
| resolution.
|
| What is the difference between TI4600 and TI4800? Any specs within
these that I
| should consider while purchasing. Sorry if I appear dumb, but that is
exactly
| what I am:-)
|
| No, I am not a gamer, but I just don't want my card to become obsolete
within a
| year or with the Fedora Core 3 release.
|
| Thanks again and best wishes!

The Ti4600 and Ti4800 are the higher-clocked versions of nVidia's
GeForce4 line.  Check out the specs here:
http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce4ti.html

Check pricewatch.com for good prices; I've seen the Ti4800 for as low as
$120.

- --
Doug Stewart
Systems Administrator/Web Applications Developer
Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Labs