[OT]Re: XFree86 available via yum

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Fri Oct 24 03:09:20 UTC 2003

Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:

>>the question is: why are they different?

> Because FTP was designed in the 70's or 80's as a file transfer
> protocol, and HTTP was designed in the early 90's as a hypertext
> transfer protocol.  The two have different purposes, however
> nowadays there is some overlap of functionality between the
> protocols.  I'm not sure why this matters however.

Better explication than in Comer and Stevens, my question was
about ftp and http servers :-)

> Because people wish to make web pages, and FTP doesn't serve web
> pages (although some browsers will render html pages as if they
> were web pages on a web server), and people also wish to make
> files available for download via FTP.  Others prefer to make
> their files available for download using HTTP instead.

but my surprise was about why they weren't at same storage,
same sever with two daemons, easy!

>>why is closed http index and ftp is opened?.... X files, sources are
>>out there :-)

> I don't understand your question, can you reword it?

http index is closed, ftp isn't!. Not too difficult to guess
the people's home dirs.

> I've been using text mode web browsers since 1994, so I'm aware
> of their existance.  A text mode web browser isn't a replacement
> for a text mode ftp client however, and never will be.  Not in my
> eyes anyway.

I've been using GUI mode web browsers since Baron ;-)

> I don't really understand the point of your thread to be honest.

I need more lessons of english.

real question was: what is there in special in ftp server and http
server to be different?

-thanks-
--
HTML mails are going to trash automatically