Scheduler, responsiveness

DAVID BALAZIC david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Fri Oct 24 12:56:39 UTC 2003

I installed fedora test3 ( athlon kernel , vesa X11 driver )
and went to install UT2003.
It basically reads fles from the CD, decompresses them and saves them
to the hard drive.

During the procedure, the system was very sluggish, sometimes the GUI
appeared frozen for several seconds.

For example I tryed to run "vi /mnt/floppy/some_file.txt" as root
on VT1 and it took several seconds ( the floppy access was not the
bottleneck ).

Also just moving windows around in X was very sluggish.

I think this is below the level of acceptable.

The kernel is kernel-2.4.22-1.2088.nptl ( athlon )
I have DMA on all ATA(PI) devices enabled.

Any comments, ideas ?

Regards,
David Balazic