gnome-panel (does havoc read this list? ;-)

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 15:12:56 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 10:32, Ryan G. wrote:

> >On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 02:47, Ryan G. wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Wonder if the gnome-panel is going to get any needed attention
> >soon...
> >> I'm configured to have things looking like osx's dock, i.e.
> autohide,
> >> no expand, menus and launchers added.  Now here's what I'm seeing,
> >how
> >> bout everyone else?
> >
> >Did you report any of these problems to the upstream (gnome) bugzilla?
> >Thats the main place gnome bug reports should go, unless its clearly a
> >redhat packaging/artwork bug, or a major showstopper that we have to
> be
> >aware of. We can't fix all bugs in all parts of gnome ourselves.
>
> Alex, thanks for your response.  I'm not asking anyone to fix anything
> (yet).  I'm trying to determine if this is a gnome thing or a fedora
> thing or a ME thing.  I'm asking for feedback from fedora users.  Since
> no one else has responded affirming or denying these problems, I'm
> guessing this is MY problem not redhat OR gnome's.

Most likely, it means that virtually nobody uses drawers. It really
shouldn't be possible to have a "MY" problem unless:

 A) You have installed your own GNOME packages, hand upgraded,
    etc.
 B) You tweaked your config files by hand
 C) You have memory or disk corruption

The good way to test this is to create a test user, log into
that, and try to recreate the problem there.

> If however these issues are present for all users, I'd think they would
> be considered major show stoppers.  Just loosing the ability to use
> drawers effectively in the panel is a pretty big deal.

The vast majority of people don't change from the default config at
all, in my experience. The fraction using drawers is going to be
tiny. Basically unless adding a drawer immediately crashed
the panel it is unlikely to be something we are going to consider
a show-stopper.

Now of course, since Fedora is an open-development model, if you
consider these bugs to be major bugs, the great thing for you
to do would be to investigate, fix, file bug reports on gnome.org
with the patch, and then file a second bug report on bugzilla.redhat.com
pointing to that bug report.

This is essentially what we'd do when fixing a bug ... patches
in our packages have to be either in upstream CVS or at least attached
to an upstream CVS bugreport.

(Not saying that you shouldn't file the bug report upstream if you
aren't yet experienced enough to fix it, just that if it's fixed
upstream, it's much more likely that we'll put the fix into fedora.)

Regards,
						Owen