up2date hang on dependency test

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 19:06:14 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 02:47:33PM -0400, Will Backman wrote:
 > Upgrade from RedHat9 to Fedora Core, test 3.
 > Downloaded latest up2date from rawhide, rpm -Fvh up2date*.rpm
 > up2date -u --nosig sits there for a very very long time on testing
 > package set/solving RPM inter-dependencies. (like an hour...)  I get
 > tired of waiting and ctl+c it.
 > I even ran rpm --rebuilddb and tried again.
 > Anyone else getting this?

Yes. I've been seeing it off and on for a few weeks.
Did an FCt3 install earlier this afternoon.
First thing I did after booting was up2date -fu, and its still
sitting there doing its thing nearly two hours later.

strace on the up2date process shows its up to all sorts of things,
including stat() of .hdr files for s390/ppc/x86_64 and other archs
that are irrelevant to this box (i386).

		Dave

--
 Dave Jones     http://www.codemonkey.org.uk