laptop dhcp fails on severn

Matheesha m.weerasinghe at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 24 19:17:05 UTC 2003

Sean,

I've noticed the same problems on my laptop. My suspicions are on the
cardbus NIC drivers (is it tulip ?). My dlink 680TXD was getting a lease
on my home coyotelinux floppy NAT server. But it couldn't contact the
NAT server nevermind the outside world! I was just trying to ping it and
it wouldnt work. They are on the same subnet (obviously) and were
connected through a cross over cable. I tried renewing the lease using
dhclient with no joy. Didn't try doing a network restart and instead
rebooted (Force of habit from windows. Bad habits die hard I guess).

The laptop was then taken to work and used with the same results. I got
a lease but couldn't do any network name resolutions. I swapped cards
with a 3com 589 like you did and things were the same. Out of curiosity
I checked redhat-config-network and the DNS tab was still showing my
home ISP DNS server entries! I deleted these and I was then able to do
name resolution.

I am not sure if the DLink didn't work at work because it may have been
still remembering the home ISP DNS servers.Incidentally the laptop had
just been freshly installed with severn 0.95. I am not sure if there are
any updates like the kernel updates which may be addressing these
issues. I couldnt get the NIC working to update the kernel!

I was too tired from working late the last few days to do more
troubleshooting. Will do though if someone needs more information to
troubleshoot this issue.

Regards

M@