up2date hang on dependency test

netopml at newview.com netopml at newview.com
Fri Oct 24 19:57:49 UTC 2003

davej at redhat.com (Dave Jones) writes:
> Same here. I grabbed the latest from rawhide manually, and updated
> that by hand. Still no joy.

It doesn't hang it just takes its time. BTW, check your /var/spool/up2date
dir, my up2date client was downloading header files for all the known archs
(ppc, s390, ...). It looks like it doesn't that when you start a new
instance of up2date when there's another one running in the background (say
you kill the gui but the python process doesn't really die and then, you
start a second one).

To solve this, I checked there was no up2date process running. I cleared
the /var/spool/up2date directory (I had zillions of header files) and I
restarted up2date. That did it.
Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer              E-Mail : mathieu at newview.com
       Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
                    explained by stupidity.
                     -- Hanlon's Razor --