Fedora and LG CD-RW Drives

Razvan Corneliu C.R. "d3vi1" VILT razvan.vilt at linux360.ro
Fri Oct 24 21:28:03 UTC 2003

> Would like some clarification about this before I download and install
> the Fedora Release (once it is out) as all of my CD-RW drives are LG.

I've seen a similar problem in Red-Hat Linux 7.1 beta. It the system
always locked when using LG CD-ROM drives (LG-84x0b). The lock happened
when the kernel was booting. Don't really remember the step where it
happened, but when I changed the CD-Rom drive there were no more
problems. Fortunately the drive had no problems after reboot. I can't
even imagine why, the IDE-CD-ROM code is clean. It probably is a bug in
the LG firmware, although the problem persisted when I've upgraded it to
version 1.01

>From what they wrote on the Mandrake web-site I can imagine only that
the firmware gets screwed-up somehow by Linux, and that's odd... They
should also say which part of their distribution does that, because if
it's the kernel, it's a serious problem.