laptop dhcp fails on severn

Shawn Houston mhouston at gci.net
Sat Oct 25 02:02:32 UTC 2003

Finally today, using iwconfig, I determined my problem, which very much
resembled this thread. My linksys WPC11 card was grabbing the strongest
signal, not the network I specified in redhat-config-network.

My first solution, it being a laptop, was to walk out of range of the
unwanted AP. My next solution, so far untested, will be to try and set
the ESSID using iwconfig, as the setting in the network device control
panel does not do anything useful.

I haven't yet determined if this is a limitation of the driver, or an
implementation problem with redhat-config-network.

More info next week .(I do not have an AP at home, only at work)

>From this thread I think there may be issues with redhat-config-network,
and some of the underlying scripts, with respect to wireless and pcmcia.

-Shawn