Compiling NVIDIA driver for -ntpl kernel

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Sat Oct 25 08:52:58 UTC 2003

After all this talk about removing XFree86-Mesa-libGL and asking NVidia
to provide RPMs, I went ahead and grabbed a copy of the RPMs they
already provide (apparently for older SuSe systems) and adapted the SPEC
files a bit.  I have now been able to build two binary RPMs, one with
just the kernel module (which needs to be rebuilt and reinstalled for
each kernel update), and one with the rest (among others,
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1).  So with these RPMs you can remove
XFree86-Mesa-libGL and then install the NVidia RPMs.

If you want to do this as well, grab the source RPMs from the NVidia
site (ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-4496/) and replace
the SPEC files with the attached.  rpmbuild the packages and do the
erase/install thing.

I am open to suggestions for improvements of the SPEC files.