Slovene language

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Oct 26 15:09:46 UTC 2003

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>> Once upon a time at band camp Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:20 am, Tadej Janež wrote:
>>> Pozdravljen, David!
>
>> Dont want to sound rude but this is an english list and it would be
>> appreciated by all if you use english when posting to the list in future
>
>If nobody minded when a few people carried an entire conversation in
>Spanish here (or was it another Fedora list?), why is Slovene a
>problem?

<personal opinion>
It is common courtesy and convention to discuss matters in the
defacto language of any given mailing list, or IRC channel, etc.
It may not be stated explicitly anywhere, but it's just
understood good common courtesy.

People who don't speak or understand another language don't want
to be bombarded with 100 emails written in foreign languages.

If there is sufficient demand for a given mailing list to have
non-english content, I'm sure we could arrange to have
foo-international-list@, etc. developed.

I can't speak for others, nor for this particular list's official
policy as I don't maintain this list, but if I am on any given
mailing list where the mandated (or defacto) language is English
(and that's the only type of list I'd be on), and there were
sufficient email coming through in other random languages without
moderator intervention, I'd just unsubscribe from the list than
get what amounts in my eyes to being nothing more than spam.

If someone can't write in English, they should use a translation
service, so that the hundreds or thousands of English only
speakers present on a list can all understand it and potentially
offer advise.

Others may very well disagree with this opinion, but if so,
please do so in English so that I can understand your
disagreement at least, and so I don't have to go and unsubscribe
from this list and seek one in a language I understand.

</opinion>