Daylight savings time missed by test3

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Oct 26 16:13:39 UTC 2003

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Rainer Traut wrote:

>will the clock be set to the right time only if I have configured ntpd?

No, I'm not sure why the poster suggested using Red Hat's NTP
server as daylight savings time adjustment is a completely
separate issue as to wether or not you use NTP.

I don't use NTP server, and my clock automatically set itself
back an hour at DST time.  I'm not using Red Hat NTP server
either, and NTP isn't really relevant to the problem.

That being said, on a completely separate note, it is a good idea
to use NTP for clock synchronization to ensure your clock doesn't
skew too much over time.  I recommend using a minimum of 3 (or
more) time servers which are Internet close (as opposed to
geographically close).  Using only a single time server is not
that reliable because if that time server goes out of whack for
any reason, your machines will sync to possibly incorrect time.
Using 3 time servers allows NTP to detect errors in a given
machine's responses compared to the other systems, and adjust
accordingly.

Again though, using NTP, and automatically adjusting for daylight
savings time are 2 completely separate issues.