AW: Mouse - strange bevaviour

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sun Oct 26 18:26:58 UTC 2003

Grosswiler Roger wrote:
> I'll try this....but howto? I was looking for redhat-config-boot...and
> didn't find...

I had to install redhat-config-boot by running up2date
redhat-config-boot from a root terminal. This installed the program.

The program does not allow you to configure graphical boot or change the
options for booting your kernels. So far you have to edit these by hand.

redhat-config-boot only pops up a screen for you to be able to change
the timeout and which kernel that you want to load by default. It would
be nice to have the ability to select common options to change for the
kernel load through this feature.

You have to edit the file /boot/grub/grub.conf with a text editor, as
root. You want remove the rhgb from the line below. Be very careful when
you edit the line by hand. It is important for your system to come back
up right on next boot.

Since you only want to do this to test out your mouse stopping working.
It would be best to hightlight the boot selection. Press e to edit the
line. Then another e to be able to actually edit the line. Then
backspace to get rid of the rhgb part of the line entry. .. Press b to
boot after you remove the rhgb from the line.

title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2108.nptl)
         root (hd1,0)
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2108.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi rhgb
         initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2108.nptl.img

By the way, I had a similar problem with my mouse working originally on
startup and then freezing up. This was caused in my case by norton
antivirus. It was on XP, so I don't think it is the same problem. There
might be a Linux program that could cause a similar lockup for you. Mine
was a problem that was only present in XP and not Linux, for locked mouse.

Jim

--
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you
lack sufficient imagination.