Security Level Configuration (Other ports)

Sean Earp smearp at mac.com
Mon Oct 27 03:04:28 UTC 2003

Hello all-

I am in the process of reading through "Teach yourself Red Hat Linux 9
in 24 Hours" and am learning more than I though possible.  I am actually
running FC1 Test 3, and for the most part, the book applies.

However, I am reading up on XDMCP to run Gnome over a remote X
connection.  I am able to turn on XDMCP with no problems in FC1, but the
next step is to open up TCP/UDP ports 177 in the firewall.  I fire up
the Security Level Configuration tool to open up these two ports, but
there is not an "other ports" box (as apparently there was in RH9) to
open up ports other than http, ssh, ftp, etc...

My questions are as follows:

1) Any reason in particular that this feature would be removed?  There
are about a million reasons why ports other than the standard 5 would
need to be opened, and a simple interface (integrated into the current
Security Level Configuration app) for customizing the (nonstandard) open
ports would be nice.

2) Am I going to have to play around with iptables at the command line
to open up these two ports (if yes, just let me know, and I'll man/info
iptables).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

-Sean