would someone kindly clarify this paragaph, please (RH business model)

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Oct 27 06:06:21 UTC 2003

Once upon a time at band camp Mon, 27 Oct 2003 3:23 pm, Elton Woo wrote:
<snip>
> What I see with my eyes, have read, and (hopefully) understood is:
> "Open source software is NOT free". This statement is copied
> and pasted directly _as is_ from the Red Hat web page. Are my
> eyes deceiving me, or am I NOT understanding something here?

i see it this way.  its not free in that someone has to be either paid to
develop the software or someone has to generously donate their time to do it.
thats a cost. not only is there that cost involved  but also it comes with a
price to all users to show there respect of the integrity of the product and
the terms of licencing weather that be GPL, BSD or some other free license.
would you be happy if i took something you wrote rip out every reference to
you and put my name in instead.  i doubt it.  so theres a price involved for
the whole  community to ensure that the rights of others are maintained.

Dennis