Somewhat OT XFree86 question (maybe M. A. Harris will speak up)

Ryan G. ryanpg at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 14:21:27 UTC 2003

Hi list,

Maybe this is OT maybe not, since fedora *is* a desktop testbed.  I'm a
devoted Linux/OSX user.  I have eye-candy/HIG/productivity envy when
I'm wearing my linux shoes.  So I've googled around and found some
interesting projects xdirectfb being one.  Although many people think
things like transparency and zoom effects are useless (see numerous
slashdot threads) I find them to be quite useful and productivity
enhancing.

My questions are these;

1-is/will true transparency implimented in gtk/xfree
2-will redhat support any competing window systems (or provide them as
options)
3-does anyone know if keith packard and the suse crew are still working
on xrender are there competing options out there
4-what's the general status of xfree and what's the policy for
including upstream versions of x with fedora.

If this is WAY too off topic please ignore me (I'll go away quietly)
otherwise I'll be interested to hear opinions.

-ry

=====
--r--