yum tutorial and setting up ATAPI laptop drive without SCSI emulation

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 27 15:59:35 UTC 2003

  first, and totally off-topic, there's an updated version of my yum
tutorial online at http://www.kwlug.org/download.php if you're interested.
most of the blanks have been filled in; feedback always appreciated.
(it's still not finalized, but it's getting there.)

  second, i'm running FC3 (well, FC2 with absolutely everything updated
to FC3) on my inspiron 8100, and i'd like to set it up to access the
ATAPI CD-RW drive (/dev/hdb) without the historical SCSI emulation.

  at the moment, working with kernel 2.6.0-test8, after i boot, there's
no record of a CD-ROM drive, so i'm thinking i've somehow messed up
converting over from the SCSI emulation to not needing it.

  that is, i should be able to run things like

  # cdrecord dev=/dev/hdb ...

and so on.  i'm about to go over all my config file settings and
kernel options again to see what i missed, but is there a short recipe
for what's necessary?

rday