samba trouble

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Mon Oct 27 17:46:04 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 07:02, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Mo, den 27.10.2003 schrieb Malcom Uel um 15:06:
> > But when
> > i try to go to network serers I get a "Can't display
> > location":Couldn't display "smb:///", because nautilus
> > cannot contact the SMB master browser. Check that
> > there is a SMB sever running on your network.
>
> I think this has been discussed before: Even if you choose to run no
> firewall during the installation, firewall is turned on. Turn it off or
> change your eth0 to be a "secure Device" with
> redhat-config-securitylevel.

> Christoph

Disabling a firewall altogether isn't the best of ideas, even when a
system is behind a hardware firewall or other router (it is a good
testing means tho yes).

It would be very beneficial to those who haven't learned iptables to add
samba to redhat-config-security-level.  This would make integrating a
fedora box with a windows network much simpler, and could be added as a
clickbox option with the other servers.

Along that line, this is another reason that customizing the firewall
through the tool is important (as mentioned in other mail), not just a
pretty feature.  People turning off firewalls on exposed boxes without
realizing what they are doing (just to make samba work) aren't just
exposed themselves, they create available boxes for other mischief.
Andrew

--
Andrew J Farris
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo CA

http://www.andrewfarris.com/