rhythmbox: failed to create spider element

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Oct 27 21:56:46 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 16:31, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 01:32:43PM -0600, Mark Guzzo wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 12:02, John Kodis wrote:
> > > I've tried to listen to an internet radiostation using rhythmbox, but
> > > all that I can get to happen is for an error dialog saying "Failed to
> > > create spider element; check your installation".
> >
> > I've had the exact same question, but I still have no idea what/how to
> > fix it.
>
>   Same here.  But what strikes me most is how awful this error message
> from a HIG point of view.  WTF is a spider element?  I couldn't even
> figure it out by digging through the gstreamer developer docs.
>   Anyone know if this is in bugzilla?  If it has to do with the exclusion
> of mp3 support, then so be it, but it should definitely be submitted to
> the GNOME bugzilla; give a more meaningful error message, one that explains
> what action to take to fix it.

As I understand it (not my area of expertise), the "spider" gstreamer
module is supposed to do is to locate the appropriate modules to do some
task and weave them together into the appropriate web.

So, I think what this message means is:

 "I couldn't figure out how to connect together modules
  to do whatever the app asked me to do. Maybe your module
  installation is screwed up."

It could clearly be improved... though I suspect the application should
really be catching the error message itself and providing some more
helpful diagnostic.

Regards,
						Owen