nautilus hang

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Oct 28 08:10:10 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 20:26, Ryan G. wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Here's a fun way to turn your laptop cpu fan on ->
>
> Nautilus shows contents of most directories just fine, however when I
> try to view the contents of /usr nautilus just sits there no screen
> redraw with the nautilus-throbber spinning.  This goes on for several
> minutes.
>
> %CPU %MEM   TIME CPU COMMAND
> 75.9 76.1   3:44   0 nautilus
>
> If I destroy the non-responsive window, nautilus dies and then
> restarts.  Seems like this is an issue when viewing directories with
> lots of folders but not such a issue with directories that have lots of
> files (viewing /dev causes no problems).
>
> Is it a bug?  Or is it me... (or both)?

I don't see it, so it must be you, but its clearly a bug too. :)

Does this always happen on /usr?
Does it happen anywhere else?
If you make a shallow copy of your /usr somewhere else. Does it still
happen?
Do you have the sidebar enabled? If so, with what page visible?

When its hanging, can you connect to it with gdb ("gdb /usr/bin/nautilus
$pid") and get a backtrace ("thread apply all bt").

Also, please file a bugzilla report and attach this info.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an unconventional Republican stage actor from the Mississippi delta.
She's a vivacious wisecracking mechanic with her own daytime radio talk show.
They fight crime!