Network Config

JDK jdk-fedora at starport.org
Tue Oct 28 14:49:41 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:04:32AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 08:33, JDK wrote:
[...snip...]

> > Thanks.  Can someone tell me what is the Red Hat way to turn on
> > ip_forward?  Is there a network options item, or do I just need to add
> > something to the firewall script?  Will the kids PC need a static IP,
> > or will if get DHCP from the router once I enable the IP forward?
[...snip...]
> /etc/sysctl.conf (there's probably a "dummy" placeholder there right
> now):
>
>   net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
>
> I think what the Mike Chambers was telling you was that you will want
> static IP addressing on the NIC that is networked with the kids' PC.
> Note that you will need to make sure you are configuring the right card,
> since it can get confusing if what you think is eth1 is actually eth0!
> :-)  Not to be pedantic, but just in case: generally you would connect
> the 2nd NIC in the Linux box and the NIC in the kids' PC to a hub in
> between, but you can connect them directly with a crossover Ethernet
> cable. (Using a hub instead means, for instance, that [A] you can expand
> this little project to encompass more computers later, and [B] you don't
> have to spend the extra few minutes to find, buy or make a special
> crossover cable.)

Thanks to all for the answers.  I finally got some time last night, and
went with the hub setup.  I now have all PC's on the network.  The kid's
is behind my Linux box, forwarding is working, all traffic is being forced
through squid and filtered using Dan's Guardian.  Life is good!

Thanks again!
jdk