no X after full upgrade from test3 to upgraded pkgs for test3

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Wed Oct 29 12:31:09 UTC 2003

Harry Putnam wrote:
> Jim Cornette <redhat-jc at insight.rr.com> writes:
>

>>I had the same problem and it killed X completely. There was no
>>listing for XFree86 being installed, after the upgrade.
>>
>>I ended up running mc and ftp transferred the latest files from
>>people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/unstable/XFree86/4.3.0-42 directory
>>and downloaded the files to a directory. Then I ran rpm -Uvh XF* when
>>in the directory and the rpms installed and worked.
>>
>>It seems that the problem was with a corrupted
>>XFree86-base-fonts-<version> rpm. I tried to open up the rpm package
>>with mc and this one would not open up at all. The other ones seemed
>>to open up alright.
>>
>>Here are the files that were available. Believe me! unstable packages
>>worked better than that series of upgrades.
>

> Trying your fix, I struck out at least temporarily.
>
> rpm -Uvh XF*.rpm against the packages you listed runs into a
> dependancy error:
>   [root at exp reader]# rpm -Uvh XF*.rpm
>   error: Failed dependencies:
>           xinitrc is needed by XFree86-4.3.0-42
>           xinitrc >= 3.13 is needed by XFree86-xdm-4.3.0-42
>       Suggested resolutions:
>           xinitrc-3.35-1.noarch.rpm
> But then the suggested file is unknown to up2date (on rawhide)
>    [root at exp reader]# up2date -i xinitrc-3.35-1.noarch.rpm
>
>    Fetching package list for channel: rawhide...
>
>    Fetching http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide//headers/header.info...
>    ########################################
>
>    Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rawhide...
>
>    Fetching rpm headers...
>
>    Name                                    Version        Rel
>    ----------------------------------------------------------
>    The following packages you requested were not found:
>    xinitrc-3.35-1.noarch.rpm
>
> I don't see it on Mikes site either.

The version is available through rawhide. I checked my installed version
and it is what you mentioned.
Try the mirror below or any similar mirror. Since you are non-gui, I
find mc handy to actually see the files. A command line program should
work also. Hopefully, there are not  of a lot of programs that rely on
xinitrc.

ftp.dulug.duke.edu

Then navigate to the below directory.

  /pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/Fedora/RPMS

I hope this gets your GUI up again.

Jim