will there be a tui user config

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Wed Oct 29 20:26:27 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 16:12, Brent Fox wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 15:01, Ben Steeves wrote:
> > you could ask it to display the equivalent command-line for
> > whatever you'd just done through the GUI.
> >
> Hmm...I don't know.  It's not the sort of thing I'd like to expose
> non-sysadmin users to, but I can understand how it would be useful as a
> teaching tool.  How did SMIT expose this option in the user interface?

I normally used smitty (the TTY version of SMIT), in which it was mapped
to a function key.  In the graphical version, it was a button labelled
"Command".  The nearest equivalent keeping in-line with the UI of the
redhat-config-* tools would probably be a window tab.  Perhaps one
that's only visible when running with root privileges, and/or toggled by
a setting somewhere.

Mind you, SMIT's implementation wasn't perfect.  Since the commands were
built programmatically (SMIT is essentially a front end that runs the
appropriate commands (or scripts)), they were sometimes less than
optimal or needlessly pedantic (putting in parameters for flags that
would be assumed as defaults, that sort of thing).  Still, it was very
reassuring (for a seasoned sysadmin because you knew exactly what was
going on, and for a newbie because you could learn).

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves