will there be a tui user config

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Wed Oct 29 21:43:16 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 04:26:27PM -0400, Ben Steeves wrote:
> Mind you, SMIT's implementation wasn't perfect.  Since the commands were
> built programmatically (SMIT is essentially a front end that runs the
> appropriate commands (or scripts)), they were sometimes less than
> optimal or needlessly pedantic (putting in parameters for flags that
> would be assumed as defaults, that sort of thing).  Still, it was very
> reassuring (for a seasoned sysadmin because you knew exactly what was
> going on, and for a newbie because you could learn).

I think that the fact that SMIT had to do this was an indication that
the whole configuration process was wrongheaded from the start in AIX.
I have always felt that keeping a database and then overwriting a set
of functionally write-only config files was the worst combination of
possibilities available.  (Yes, I was an AIX admin at one time, I'm
not just spouting off.)

But then, I don't write config tools for Red Hat any more, that was
my old job back when I re-wrote netconfig for the first time.  :-)

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/