Updated ISO images?

Don dnrlinux at san.rr.com
Wed Oct 29 23:11:01 UTC 2003

Andrew,
Thanks for the tips....

I got the new up2date and up2date-gnome packages installed....
Then I tried to get the rest of the packages...

Once again it just hangs completely during the dependency check.
I was able to get some of the packages individually, or in small groups ....

I got all the XFree86 packages in one go, and that sort of thing.
Over all, the process of getting the updates was excruciatingly painful,
going through many, many iterations of running up2date... waiting an age for
the list of package headers, waiting an age for the dependency checks, the
actual downloads were very quick and the installs were OK....

Except, for every package it downloaded it said "Package already
downloaded", but the progress bar continued, and I could "see" traffic being
downloaded by the lights on my LAN switch

It hung when I tried to get the cpp package by itself....

I got the rhgb package installed...
I did get the new kernel updates and after that decided I should reboot the
machine then get the rest of the packages....

When I rebooted, graphical boot up did not work (it worked prior to any
updates)

kudzu recognized new hardware (which there wasn't any really, but I guess it
was new to it... the touch pad on my laptop) after which my USB mouse
stopped working.

Now when I try to use up2date, I eventually get the list of available
packages, but I can't get any of them.... it just hangs after I select any
one of them and press "forward"....

I think at this point I'll just wait until Monday Nov 3 for new ISO's and
I'll try again from scratch, then I'll just enter new bugs....

I look forward to seeing how the GA release installs on my IBM desktop....
FCT3 dies a miserable death on that machine now.... yes, I reported the bug
and provided logs etc etc, the proverbial "nothing unusual there, that
shouldn't happen" oh well, that's why it's called BETA code... :-)

"See" you next week. :-)

Cheers,
Don