Arjan's kernel 2.6-test9 and logitech usb mouse scroll wheel

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Thu Oct 30 10:49:47 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 02:03, Steve Bergman wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 03:26, Steve Bergman wrote:
> > I installed Arjan's 2.6-test9 kernel on my rawhide box and everything
> > pretty much just worked.  My Logitech cordless optical usb mouse works
> > except I get no response from the scroll wheel.
> >
> > The only change is the kernel. With 2.4.22-1.2111.nptl it works
> > fine.
> >

> >From dmesg:
>
> mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1
> serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
> input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
> serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1

> >From XF86Config:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>
> # If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
> # this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
> # also use USB mice at the same time.
>         Identifier  "DevInputMice"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> EndSection

Using this Protocol driver, IMPS/2, my Microsoft Explorer 3.0 (5 button
+ wheel) needs the xmodmap changed to place the wheel functions on the
wheel rather than the 4 and 5 buttons.  I don't really understand how
this work, just that I do it.

I also have my mouse in 7 button mode, using the setup:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "Buttons" "7"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
#       Option      "DragLockButtons" "4"
EndSection

Then when X starts up, I set xmodmap in .bashrc (or .bash_profile, I'm
sure there is a better place to do it too, but .xinitrc doesn't work in
gnome logged in)

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

but, if you've only got 3 buttons + wheel try:
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 4 5 3"

(of course the aforementioned is highly suspect to error, and mostly
gleaned from man pages I hardly understood, it works for me tho)

Andrew Farris <fedora at andrewfarris.com>