Up2date hangs caused by redhat-config-network packages

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Thu Oct 30 13:53:28 UTC 2003

Am Do, den 30.10.2003 schrieb Doug Stewart um 15:04:
> Peter Boy wrote:
> | This is due to a well known problem with up2date not beeing able to
> | resolve dependencies under some circumstances. While running up2date you
> | should watch tail -f /var/log/up2date.
> |

> This has not been my experience.  Rather, this seems to be due to a
> syncing error.  The packages don't actually exist on the RH server, thus
> up2date retrieves a 404 message instead of an RPM.  When rpm goes to
> install a 404 message, it obviously fails.

See bug 107 921. Would be nice if someone at redhat could comment on that.

May be a sync problem. But if you use different versions of up2date at
the same time, you will get different results with the very same rawhide
repository. Currently it's very bad for me with version 4.1.12-1, which
hangs after selecting any number of packages for an update, showing all
the *debuginfo packages in it's window. But version  4.1.5-1 works fine.

Nevertheless, *one* (among others) workaround is to watch
/etc/log/up2date for those packages which are checked for dependencies.
Typical entry is:

[Thu Oct 30 01:28:23 2003] up2date solving dep for: ['libcrlayeng.so.1',
'libcroco.so.1', 'libcrseleng.so.1', 'libmd5.so.0', 'chkconfig']

You should check if every package is installed on the system. Otherwise
you may abort up2date, install it manually and then retry. (For me
libmd5 was missing).

Peter