WiFi settings in Fedora

netopml at newview.com netopml at newview.com
Thu Oct 30 16:19:48 UTC 2003

        Hi all,

I've got an orinoco chip on my laptop and it works great but I haven't been
able to do one thing: switch the encryption settings using
redhat-config-network.

Let me explain: at work, the wifi network is "secure" (ESSID and KEY) but
when I'm roaming (usually in hotel rooms), most of the time there's no
essid or key (everyone can connect).
AFAIK, the "profile" thing in redhat-config-network only allows you to say
which interfaces you want to be enabled in this particular profile.

Right, now I've create links for ifcfg-eth1/keys-eth1 to switch back and
forth between the 2 settings.

Is there a better way (like creating a third interface, I thought about it
but I was sure I'm probably missing something obvious) or something like
this and if not, should I submit a RFE?

Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer              E-Mail : mathieu at newview.com
       Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
                    explained by stupidity.
                     -- Hanlon's Razor --