default desktop background looks hideous IMO (was Re: Testing current rawhide...)

Garrett LeSage garrett at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 21:44:35 UTC 2003

Barry K. Nathan wrote:

><RANT>
>What the HELL is the new desktop background supposed to be? It reminds
>me of:
>
>(a) Fingerprint smudges on the monitor
>(b) The Southern California wildfire smoke that I hate breathing whenever I
>    go outside nowadays
>(c) LCD damage caused by pressure/stress on certain parts of the display
>
>EVERY SINGLE ONE of these is in the "things I'd rather not think about
>when I'm trying to use my computer" category. </RANT> I'm guessing it's not
>really a "SERIOUS AND MAJOR REGRESSION" but I'm mentioning it just in
>case there's anyone else who hates this background as much as I do. (If
>I'm the only person with this opinion, feel free to ignore me, though.)

Oops.  I may have broken the LCD display while smudging my greasy
fingers on the screen -- but I haven't been out to California for a
while now.

There are several other backgrounds in the default background folder --
including a few new ones this release.  Hopefully you will enjoy those.
They're located in desktop-backgrounds-extra and you can change them by
right-clicking on the background and selecting "Change Desktop
Background".  Click on "default.png" next to the lightbulb and a file
selection dialog will pop-up allowing you to select a new one.

You can rest assured that Fedora Core 2 will have a different background.

Garrett