Build emacs from sources fails on compiler

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri Oct 31 02:26:58 UTC 2003

    HP> Setup: test3 updated to 10/28 (athlon-tbird (1.3gh)

    HP> I remember seeing some mention of emacs problems
    HP> awhile ago here.

There was a dumper problem that has now been worked around
by building with "setarch i386" in emacs-21.3-7.  But the
problem you describe below during configure looks quite
different from that...

    HP> Trying to compile emacs from cvs
    HP> sources fails with these error messages:

Emacs cvs head's configure runs fine for me on my box here
with gcc-3.2.2-1 though it is mostly still test3.

    HP>   checking for C compiler default
    HP>   output... configure: error: C compiler cannot
    HP>   create executables

    HP>   See `config.log' for more details.

Does config.log give you any clues?

Jens