Xfree86 max resolution

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Oct 31 07:07:04 UTC 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Tino Meinen wrote:

>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, selda wrote:
>> >Another problem I have is the screen resolution. I don't know why but the
>> >maximum resolution I can select is 1024x768. I have ATI Radeon 9000 pro
>> >video card.
>>
>> Check the config file by hand.  If there is a VideoRAM setting in
>> there and you didn't put it in there yourself by hand, please
>> file a bug report in bugzilla against redhat-config-xfree86.
>referring to bug 107345,
>why would it be a bug if there is a  VideoRam size setting in Xfree86?

Because the config tool should never be writing out the VideoRAM
line to the config file.  If it does, it's a bug.

>It is indeed no longer present in my XFree86 config but the maximum
>resolution offered by redhat-config-xfree86 is not very high (1024x768).
>I thought that was *because* the VideoRam size was lacking and that was
>a bug?

No.  The VideoRAM setting should be removed from the entire
userbase of XFree86's collective brains and never ever used ever
- unless someone has a video card which the video driver is
unable to detect the proper video RAM amount on - which is very
rare and only on very older cards which are considered quite
ancient nowadays.  The Radeon driver ignores the VideoRAM setting
if supplied anyway and does not permit the user to override the
detected memory.