The fonts now are too obscure to see after updating today.

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Oct 31 07:25:33 UTC 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, [gb2312] 肇 鑫 wrote:

>Greeting everyone.
>I update the XFree86 to 4.3.0-42 today.

Updated from what previous XFree86 release?

>I notice that the fonts change a lot now. However, I think they
>are worse than before.

Interesting... considering nothing has changed in XFree86 for
quite a long time now that might affect fonts.

>If you are somebody like me, who choose Chinese as default, you
>will find the characters become so obscure now. I believe that
>if this is still existed, fedora should not be released. I use a
>notebook with 14.1 @ 1024*768. So I try to reset fonts using LCD
>mode in font setting. But it seems no changes happened.
>
>So please chech-out want is wrong in that.

We'll need a lot more information than that to be able to
investigate anything.  Fonts should work no different now than
they did even a few months ago.  There are no new font related
bugs reported in bugzilla that I can see.  If there was a
widespread problem of ugly fonts all of a sudden, bugzilla would
probably be quite flooded with bug reports about font problems.

I suspect this is just a local font installation issue.  If
you've ever manually installed Asian fonts which supply their own
fonts.scale and/or fonts.dir files and don't function properly
with ttmkfdir/mkfontdir generated font metadata files, then this
is a likely cause of the problem.

Can you provide screenshots?