Wanted - kernel 2.6 RPM including misc changes

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 31 12:41:30 UTC 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Neal D. Becker wrote:

> Currently, we have a set of kernel-2.6test rpms, but AFAIK, these don't quite
> do everything needed to convert fedora to 2.6 kernel.  People still need to
> do some editing, such as
>
> mkdir /sys
> edit /etc/fstab
> edit /etc/rc.sysinit
>
> I think it would be useful to include this stuff in an rpm.

i've mentioned this a couple of times.  as a starting point, here's
one URL:

http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html

but with the latest release of fedora, some of it is now redundant.

  the bigger problem is that what would be ideal is a /etc/rc.sysinit
file that's compatible with both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, since it's not
unreasonable for some folks to want to test drive the 2.6 kernel, but
switch back to 2.4 after they're done playing.  so making permanent
2.6-related changes to /etc/rc.sysinit seems inflexible.

  and, after having made a few of these changes myself to /etc/rc.sysinit,
it was a bit annoying to have had the automatic "yum" update clobber it
with a newer, stock version.  dang.  forgot to take that into account.

  and as mr. becker suggests, some files can be extended to handle
things like people adding support for the sysfs filesystem.  this would
require changes to all of /etc/rc.sysinit, /etc/fstab and
/etc/init.d/halt (see thomer's web page for the details).

  so it does seem time to extend /etc/rc.sysinit, among others,
to be more general.

rday