Testing current rawhide...

Sean Earp smearp at mac.com
Fri Oct 31 17:28:38 UTC 2003

On Oct 31, 2003, at 5:56 AM, James J. Ramsey wrote:

> --- "Mike A. Harris" <mharris at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Marcus White wrote:
>>
>> There are internally, although I don't know if they
>> were made
>> publically available or not.  I believe there would
>> be high value
>> in making them publically available though for some
>> external
>> final testing, but I'm not sure what the official
>> plan is.
>>
>> mkj:  Any chance we can push the latest test ISOs
>> out for people
>> to do final/semi-final testing?
>
> I'd see some value in having a further set of test
> ISOs. I have a ye olde CD-ROM that doesn't like DMA,
> so I'd be a good guinea pig for testing whether the
> BOOT kernel *really* only enabled DMA for hard drives.
> This was in the kernel changelog:
>
> * Fri Oct 10 2003 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
>

> - Only enable DMA on hard disks in the BOOT kernel.
>
> However, I still needed to pass ide=nodma to the boot
> prompt to get Fedora test3 to install, so apparently
> either that change didn't make it to the test3 kernel,
> or the attempted change didn't work.

I also agree that some final test .iso's would be a good idea (or even
a net/ftp install), if only to test anaconda.  There have been
show-stopping bugs in the last two releases of anaconda, but since
anaconda is not used for anything other than the install, they have not
been caught until the actual .isos were posted.

-Sean