Up2Date looses ..... / yum-rep

James J. Ramsey jjramsey_6x9eq42 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 31 18:15:33 UTC 2003

--- "Paul W. Frields" <paul at frields.com> wrote:

> > The correct fix - I think, is to change the
> process with which
> > ftp.redhat.com is updated.
>
> While I completely agree that the proximate cause is
> on the server side,
> this doesn't help the casual user who suddenly ends
> up with a broken
> box, where packages are suddenly missing and the
> dependency tree is now
> broken. Fixing the client to use a little bit of
> common sense to avoid
> disaster is also a good idea, especially since it
> involves a minimum of
> fuss.

I agree. up2date needs to do enough sanity checking so
that if it gets bogus RPMS, headers, etc., it can do
something intelligent like tell the user that
something is wrong at the server end--so that they can
complain to Red Hat sooner. :)  Having up2date
mysteriously hang and/or spew inscrutable tracebacks
(that only appear if one launches up2date from a
terminal) just makes problems harder to resolve.