False alarm: Abuse of RHN Service?

nosp nosp at xades.com
Mon Sep 1 09:25:19 UTC 2003

Didn't see anything like this in the archives, so I was wondering if
anyone had gotten this error from up2date (severn, up2date-3.9.19-2):

---
up2date_client.up2dateErrors.AbuseError:
Error Message:
    Abuse of Service detected for server XXXXX (nnnnnnnnnn)
Error Class Code: 49
Error Class Info:
     You are getting this error because RHN has detected an abuse of
     service from this system and account. This error is triggered when
     your system makes too many connections to Red Hat Network. This
     error can not be triggered under a normal use of the Red Hat
Network
     service as configured by default on Red Hat Linux.

     The Red Hat Network services for this system will remain disabled
     until you will reduce the RHN network traffic from your system to
     acceptable limits.

     Please log into RHN and visit
https://rhn.redhat.com/help/contact.pxt
     to contact technical support if you think you have received this
     message in error.
---

I am updating one PC (my only RHN-registered machine) from the severn
updates channel and have had up2date crash a few times but don't think
I've generated THAT much activity.  I AM trying to download a lot of
updated packages (updates + src rpms total probably about 500),
however.  My account doesn't actually seem disabled in any way (system
not marked as bad in RHN, can still dl packages, log in to RHN  website,
etc.).  The FAQ warnings (https://rhn.redhat.com/help/faq/policy.pxt)
appear not to have come to pass (great).

I'll take this up with rhn-users if no one's seen it.  Just thought I'd
ask here first since the beta community are likely to be the heaviest
users (pkgs/system-wise).  Anyone seen this?

Thanks,
Martin